Sunday, November 2, 2008

Success

So....there really is a reason my blogging has dropped off. It's called reality. REALLY...I have not figured out how to be a working mom and a blogger, let alone a seamstress and a crafter. I want to be all of those things, and an amazing wife and housekeeper. But guess what suffers. All of them. That's right. All of them.

But this week being a teacher was really rewarding. The club that I am co-sponsor of hosted a breast cancer awareness walk. Now, I could not have done this without my co-sponsor, but most of the work fell on me. We all know me. I am not organized. But for once, I had a plan. It was just falling into place. We sold ribbons to the students for $1 each and they in turn got out of class 15 mins early to participate in the awareness walk. We set a goal of $500. As of Wednesday afternoon, I was worried. We only had $267 of our $500 goal. Thursday afternoon, we had $410. By 2:30 Friday at the walk, we had $648. Can you believe it? Of the 770 students, 648 were willing to participate in buying a ribbon to get out of class 15 minutes early. We had a pre-walk ceremony with 5 cancer survivors. We let each of them release a balloon with their names tied to them, then the club members released another 5 for people who lost their battles with breast cancer. It was so awesome to see that many young people participating in the walk--for whatever reason--all walking for a cure. The principal was highly impressed at the turnout and the willingness to participate. There were no problems getting everyone to do what they were supposed to do.

We capped off the walk by heading straight into the pep rally, at which the principal and one of the ninth-grade history teachers were "arrested" to raise money for the school since the state cut the education funds. The principal urged the kids to donate money. For every $25, he had to stay in jail for 1 hour. The 1st A.P. and the head football coach each donated a $100 bill. But we have a ways to go. We are still short about $4800. If we don't find some way to raise it, it will come out of our instructional funds. But I trust that we will find a way to raise it. I suggested to the PTO that we do a camp stew sale in January and talk to the local movie theatre about having a GHS night. Any suggestions of fund raisers that have been successful?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

A post once a week, I guess as a member of the working society, that's good. I really can't say anything. Mine has slacked off too and there is no excuse for mine. Lol... Are you coming to the jewelry party to try to win the tutu???

Anonymous said...

Pancake breakfast is usually a good fundraiser. It doesn't cost much to make the pancakes, then sell them to students or anyone.

Bramblemoon Farm said...

Our PTO does popcorn sales on Fridays. How about traditional stuff like a big ole bake sale?

Jennie said...

I just had my third child and decided to quit my good paying job to stay home and even though I am home now, I still feel like it is almost impossible to do all my jobs as a mother, wife, homekeeper - upper, blogger, freind, etc., all we can do is do our best...

Michelle said...

Maybe you could ask students/parents to donate used books that they no longer find interesting, and then sell them for a couple bucks each, invite the parents and the community. It could be like a big book swap only they are donating to your school.

Michelle said...

oh and it would encourage reading! Thats something a school would be proud to promote right? Best of luck