Saturday, August 23, 2008

Settling In

Thanks to everyone who has sent me a message asking how things are going. I certainly do appreciate the encouragement. Things have been tough--tougher than I could have imagined. But my professor pointed out to me the other day that I am basically thinking "white." I am expecting out of my students what I would do and how I would behave. I am setting the standards for them at what I think they should be for white America. Basically, I am failing to recognize the differences between the black students and white students. I am learning that I cannot be colorblind. Seeing color is one of the things that must happen in order to be a successful teacher.

After two especially rough weeks with three of my classes, a near fight that resulted in threats to shoot another student and everyone else in the room, a student pulled out of my room for bringing drugs to school with the intent to sell, I went to the principal. I laid it all out for him. I told him that I had no intention of coming back last Monday when I left the previous Friday. It was at that point that he realized that things must really be bad. Fortunately, I have a VERY supportive principal and assistant principals. They have agreed to help me in any and every way they can, without overstepping the bounds and running my class for me. My principal helped me to realize that most of my frustrations are at myself, not at my classes. But I am not a quitter. I refuse to quit and let these kids get the best of me. I love teaching the classes where there is some semblance of order. I made the principals aware of the sexual harassment from two students, so now those two will be gone if it continues.

I am stronger than they are. They have not seen strong yet. I will persevere and I will win!!!!!!! I. will. win. Losing is not an option.

The girls really enjoy their school. Hubby got called Friday at 2:30 that Baby K was throwing up. She was over it by the time I got home yesterday afternoon. I was up for three hours with Emmy during the night before she finally threw up. She says her stomach still does not feel good, but she has not been sick anymore.

Bro Man and I got up early this morning and headed to Montgomery. We spent the morning doing some shopping and thankfully got home before this tropical storm rain and winds started. We had such a wonderful morning. There was only one time when I had a problem with him and he immediately apologized for talking to me the way that he did. He was so very super sweet.

Well, I'm done for now. I promise this blog is not going into a rambling about teaching, but right now that is about all that is going on in my life.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I miss you! WE never get to talk anymore!!

Lula! said...

I totally missed you! Thanks for the update!

Anonymous said...

I miss you too..but I'm glad you have employers that are backing you up and helping you through this!